Friday, October 28, 2022

 Saturday in the 30th Week of Ordinary Time, October 29, 2022

Philippians 1, 18-26


Brothers and sisters: As long as in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is being proclaimed, and in that I rejoice. Indeed I shall continue to rejoice, for I know that this will result in deliverance for me through your prayers and support from the Spirit of Jesus Christ. My eager expectation and hope is that I shall not be put to shame in any way, but that with all boldness, now as always, Christ will be magnified in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me life is Christ, and death is gain. If I go on living in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me. And I do not know which I shall choose. I am caught between the two. I long to depart this life and be with Christ, for that is far better. Yet that I remain in the flesh is more necessary for your benefit. And this I know with confidence, that I shall remain and continue in the service of all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, so that your boasting in Christ Jesus may abound on account of me when I come to you again.


St, Paul wrote this Letter to the Christians of the city of Philippi during his imprisonment in Rome, which dates it to the years 62-64.  He is less concerned with the progress of his case than with the spread of the Faith, and in this he exalts, for people are hearing of Jesus Christ through his trial than would have otherwise, and he is very hopeful for many to be converted.


“As long as in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is being proclaimed, and in that I rejoice.”  In previous verses, Paul told the Philippians that “some out of contention preach Christ not sincerely: supposing that they raise affliction to my chains” (Philippians 1, 17) — his Jewish opponents “preach” Jesus publicly in a way that they think will make Paul look like a threat to the state — but Paul has sold out for Christ and so he considers that any mention of the Lord’s name may intrigue a listener to find out more.  As long as the name of Christ was made known to the Romans, the means did not matter.


“Indeed I shall continue to rejoice, for I know that this will result in deliverance for me through your prayers and support from the Spirit of Jesus Christ.”  The Greek word translated here as “deliverance” can also mean “salvation”, and so Paul is saying either that this will result in his deliverance from prison or departure from this world.  Whether he lives or dies, Christ will be served through the true understanding of the Gospel that will result from his trial.  He credits this making known the Lord to the Gentile authorities in Rome to the prayers of the Philippians and the grace of the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of truth.   Regarding the resolution of his case, Paul continues, “My eager expectation and hope is that I shall not be put to shame in any way, but that with all boldness, now as always, Christ will be magnified in my body, whether by life or by death.”  “In my body.”  That is, his life on earth, which is consecrated to Jesus Christ.  The true follower of the Lord Jesus need never fear being “put to shame” for his public conduct or speech because it is all for Jesus.  “Christ will be magnified”.  This brings to mind the Virgin Mary’s Magnificat, in which she says, “My soul magnifies the Lord.”  Indeed, the Virgin and St. Paul use the same verb.  The Virgin Mary and St. Paul “magnified” or “enlarged” the Lord by letting him use them as his instruments.  And he so filled them that others could see the love and power of God through them.  With the greatest saints, such as the Blessed Mother and St. Paul, their very presence exuded Almighty God so that the people around them could physically feel it.  Miracles performed by the saints also “magnify” God, and the good works and apt words of all the followers of God do so as well.  Even the death of the faithful Christian testifies to his or her faith and shows our hope in God’s salvation.


“For to me life is Christ, and death is gain.”  This is the motto of the ardent Christian.  Our life, seen as service to the Lord, “magnifying” him while we disappear in the work for his sake — “He must increase, I must decrease” (John 3, 30) — is a joyful one as we look forward to his eternal embrace.  Death merely brings about the end of our work here so that we may be with him forever.  As Paul says to the Philippians, “If I go on living in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me. And I do not know which I shall choose. I am caught between the two. I long to depart this life and be with Christ, for that is far better. Yet that I remain in the flesh is more necessary for your benefit.”  They, very naturally, wish for his safety and his return to them, for they rightly venerate him as their father.  Paul assures them that he will be happy in death because he will be with the Lord in heaven, but would also be happy if he lives so that he can continue to be with them, in continued service to the Lord: “I long to depart this life and be with Christ, for that is far better. Yet that I remain in the flesh is more necessary for your benefit.”  Paul “longs” to depart this life and “be with Christ”.  The Greek word translated here as “long” means something stronger.  Two possible translations are “lust” or “to have an inordinate desire for”.  Paul wanted to be with Christ with all his heart.  He was consumed with this desire.  We can see how far this went with him simply by considering the sufferings he willingly endured so as to be worthy of Christ’s sweet company.  Even so, Paul is willing to remain below for the benefit of the Philippians, still young in their faith.  


“And this I know with confidence, that I shall remain and continue in the service of all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, so that your boasting in Christ Jesus may abound on account of me when I come to you again.”  Paul checks himself here, realizing that his joy at the thought of being with the Lord Jesus might make the Philippians sad that they were going to lose him.  Indeed, he was released after two years of imprisonment, probably because his Jewish accusers lost interest in his case, though the details are not known.


We see how attached Paul was to his spiritual children, whom God “begot” through him.  He himself understood this for he called the Thessalonians, “My little children, of whom I am in labour again, until Christ be formed in you” (1 Thessalonians 2, 19).  In heaven, he would be even more attached to them and eager to do good for them.  Let us avail ourselves of the love of the saints for us by praying often to them for what we need in order to lead holy lives.


No comments:

Post a Comment