Saturday, July 20, 2013


The Pharisees had many reasons for plotting to put Our Lord Jesus Christ to death.  Underlying their hatred for him was a complete lack of seeing his love for them and for all people.  The work of the Christian is to repair this blindness by seeing into the depths of his Sacred Heart, and this can be very efficaciously done by meditating upon the heart of his Mother, always so close to his.  St. Bernard of Clairvaux (d. 1153) wrote a very moving little book called, On the Passion of The Lord and on the Sorrows and Laments of His Mother, from which the following is drawn:

"O Jews, who have crucified my Son, do not spare me!  Crucify the Mother, or destroy her with whatever kind of savage death.  O Death, you rob the world with your rod so that a widow may lose her Son, her joy, her sweetness!  My Life, my Salvation is destroyed, and my Hope is taken from the earth.  Why does a Mother live after her Son, in sorrow?  Take and hang up the Mother with her Child.  You do not spare the Son, so do not spare me.  Obey me, O Death!


"Then I shall rejoice greatly if I may die together with my sweet Christ, and he die with a wretched Mother.  But the death I wish for, departs.  Oh woe, unhappy me!  Death conquers you, O Jesus!  It is better for me to die than to live a sweet life.  But Death flees from a wretched woman, and abandons me, unhappy as I am.


"O Son of my love, my kind Son, my Son born from on high!  Hear the prayers of your wretched Mother!  Cease your hardness to your Mother, to whom you were ever kind in all things.  Take your Mother into death with you so that she may live with you forever after death.  There is nothing sweeter to me than to live and die with you.  Nothing is more bitter to me than to live after your death." 


No comments:

Post a Comment